Ok, I know we all get people/idiots making stupid comments about our illness despite knowing nothing about CRPS/RSD. I have had quite a few myself. The one that outraged me the most was being told to “just get over it and move on with your life” WTF??? where is the button I get to press to turn this off??? I stewed on that one for a long time. I soon realised it was only me suffering. That person had moved on with her life two seconds after saying it. I will admit that I got quite negative towards this person afterwards and ended up cutting her out of my life completely to try and get past it. I’m not sure why this one got to me the most. It wasnt the worst said to me at all. Maybe that I was hurt that she had no empathy for me when I had empathy for her having a husband dying of cancer. I had been very kind to her as I knew her husband well and was deeply saddened by his illness and death. Maybe she couldnt see past her own problems. She could be a selfish person at times… ok she could be a bit of a b****! Either way she had to go because I needed to get past the negativity.
I was also recently told by a Dr that I am too young to be addicted to pain meds. My reply was that I am also too young to be in this much pain. FFS!!!
Today I came around this list of Things NOT To Say To A CRPS Patient. It was quite interesting. Its from a site called The Black and its RSD Links. A page that I am going to do some further reading on. Here below are a few of the things that are said to us. The majority of this list is things said by Dr’s. Im kind of horrified by this. Enjoy.
1. But you look fine.
2. Try not to dwell on it all the time.
3. It’s not a death sentence.
4. It’s not like it’s cancer.
5. Lose some weight.
6. Get more exercise.
7. It’s all in your head.
8. It’s probably the all the pills you’re taking that are making you sick and tired.
9. I’ve seen worse cases of CRPS/RSD.
10. You forget a lot. Try to pay better attention to things.
11. What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger.
12. Are you sure it’s not gout?
13. I knew someone who had something like that and s/he’s fine now!
14. It can’t possibly hurt as much as you make it seem.
15. Why are you on disability? Isn’t it your arm that’s sore?
16. I had a friend that had that. You need to eat a gluten free diet.
17. You’re going to become an addict.
18. CRPS doesn’t spread.
19. Does something like this run in your family?
20. RSD never spread the way you just told me.
21. An spinal block can’t give you RSD.
22. Why you have surgery in your back when RSD is in your lower limb?
23. Did you get all that for a simple ankle twisting? Gosh, you’re weak!!
To make this post a bit more fun, what would be your come back to the stupidity of some of these remarks??? Lets maybe keep it clean and witty. 🙂
Hope your all pain free. xx